You’ve heard it preached countless times, and hopefully you already have the habit of doing it. I don’t mind repeating what every other self improvement coach is already saying, because it is the single most important tool for growth: Journaling, writing personal thoughts, capturing the experiences and emotions of the day on a regular, preferably daily basis.
Writing, and especially journaling connects you with your thoughts in a proactive way. It makes you think constructively and creatively. It clears your mind of harmful inner chatter. It exercises your ability to use humanity’s most powerful weapon, language. When we commit to paper, or hard-drive, we are manifesting a thought. What we imagine becomes real. It is the first step in turning our dreams into reality.
Journaling in particular provides a great way of tracking and focusing on certain things. It allows you to reflect on events and your reaction to them, your ability to stick to desired habits or stay away from undesired ones. A goal is only an idea until it is written down. An emotion can more easily be controlled or promoted when it is written down.
The types of things your journal should contain are:
- A description of the day, focusing on
- Events which sparked emotions in you. Notes on how to achieve more positive emotions, and how to prevent future negative emotions.
- How you faired in terms of your habits (desired and undesired) Thoughts on why your performed how you did.
- Positive journaling
- Three new things which you are grateful for (this could be anything from sunsets to the shape of your toes, to the love of your life partner)
- Something positive which happened to you that day
- Ideas for something nice you could do for a loved one, or a stranger
- Anything creative
- A short story
- Goals/ habit tracking
After a few weeks of journaling, you will feel a lift of spirit and happiness levels. You will feel sharper and more in tune with your surroundings. you will find it easier to practice mindfulness as your powers of perception sharpen.
Journaling is an important part of the eGOvolution journey, and I will be asking you to journal throughout. The sooner you start the habit, the better, even if it’s basic and brief at first.
So, fire up a word doc, or go buy a notebook and start writing!